What to Eat When Doing Yoga?
A regular yoga practice will make you feel amazing, and what you eat before and after you practice has a big impact on how good you feel. Here are tips on making the most of your yoga meals.
Before Your Practice
- Eat a light, easily digestible snack 1-2 hours before class. Options like oatmeal, a smoothie bowl, or apples with nut butter are ideal.
- If you want something with a few more calories, a piece of grain-based toast with nut butter or hummus also works.
- Avoid heavy foods like processed snacks and fast food, as these take longer to digest.
What you drink is just as important as the food you eat for yoga. Aim to drink plenty of water throughout the day, and bring extra water with you to class if necessary. During warmer days, you can also try iced water with a splash of fresh lemon juice or fruit tea.
After Your Practice
After class, the goal is to replenish your energy and refuel your muscles.
- Aim to eat a meal that includes complex carbohydrates, lean protein, and healthy fats. Examples can range from grains + steamed veggies + a plant-based protein to a wrap sandwich with nut butter + avocado + tempeh.
- Restorative classes call for more of a snack than a meal. Try blending a smoothie with banana, nut butter, and a cup of almond milk.
- Need some ideas? Check out the recipes below for simple and nourishing post-yoga meals that are sure to hit the spot.
- Smoky Tempeh Burrito with Avocado Crema
- Toasted Coconut and Mango Overnight Oats
- Vegan PB & J Chia Parfait
- Creamy Spinach Tomato Pasta
With the right combination of snacks and meals, yoga will have you feeling energized and recharged. Have fun and experiment to find the best meals for yourself!
What type of food should I avoid when doing yoga?
It is best to avoid eating heavy meals, fried foods, and processed foods before practicing yoga. Eating a light snack such as a banana before yoga can help with energy levels. Additionally, stay away from food or drinks that may contribute to dehydration.
What types of food can I eat before doing yoga?
There are a variety of foods that can be eaten prior to practicing yoga. It is recommended to eat something light and easily digestible, such as: yogurt, a banana, trail mix, oatmeal, a smoothie, or a protein bar. Avoid heavy and high-fat foods such as burgers, fries, and pizza as these will likely cause feeling of discomfort and lethargy during practice.
What foods should I avoid eating before yoga?
-High-sugar foods or drinks
I am passionate about yoga and this is my blog. I have been practicing yoga for over 10 years and teaching for 5. Yoga has transformed my life in so many ways and I love being able to share that with others. My hope is that through this blog, I can help people learn more about yoga, connect with other yogis, and find inspiration to live a healthier, happier life.