How to Prevent Thyroid by Yoga:
Yoga can be an effective way to manage and even prevent thyroid issues. It is well known for providing physical benefits and calming one’s mental state. Moreover, yoga can also be an excellent tool to maintain and improve the health of your thyroid gland. However, certain poses must be aligned properly to target certain areas and pressure points within the thyroid to help promote healthy functioning. So, if you’re looking for ways to prevent and protect your thyroid, here are a few yoga poses that may help:
1. The Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana)
This pose provides a powerful stimulant to the thyroid.
- Lie flat on a yoga mat, face up.
- Inhale deeply and lift both legs up gradually & bring them over your head in such a way that your feet touch the floor behind your head.
- Support your weight on your shoulders & extend your arms out to the sides with palms facing down.
- Ensure that your back is totally straight while in this pose.
- Breathe slowly and remain in this pose for 1-3 minutes.
2. Plow Pose (Halasana)
The Plow Pose is beneficial for regulating thyroid hormones.
- Lie flat on your yoga mat, face up and place your palms facing down by your side.
- Gently, lift your legs up and take them over your head, ensuring that your feet touch the floor behind your head.
- Lift your hips up and tuck them in to the joint where your torso meets your legs.
- Extend your arms beyond your head with the palms facing down.
- Hold the pose and breathe slowly for a few minutes.
3. Fish Pose (Matsyasana)
The Fish Pose increases blood circulation to the thyroid gland, aiding in its proper functioning.
- Lie down on your yoga mat, face up and place your palms facing down by your side.
- Roll your head back and bring the top of your head to the floor, ensuring that your gaze is towards the sky.
- However, ensure that your neck is correctly aligned and not overstretching.
- Take your hands forward, move your shoulders and keep pressing down on your elbows.
- Your elbows and lower body should be on the floor.
- Lift your chest up, and hold the pose for a few minutes.
The thyroid gland is an important organ to maintain and protect. Incorporating these yoga poses into your yoga practice can be beneficial in boosting thyroid health and potentially preventing thyroid issues. However, it is important to include other healthy lifestyle practices such as eating a well-balanced diet, avoiding too much stress and getting enough rest.
I am passionate about yoga and this is my blog. I have been practicing yoga for over 10 years and teaching for 5. Yoga has transformed my life in so many ways and I love being able to share that with others. My hope is that through this blog, I can help people learn more about yoga, connect with other yogis, and find inspiration to live a healthier, happier life.