How To Clean Yoga Mat At Home
Yoga mats bring a whole lot of benefits in our lives. It is often used for physical yoga poses and other activities like Pilates, stretching, working out and relaxation exercises. This makes it prone to physical germs and bacterial build up when used regularly. In fact, if your yoga mat isn’t cleaned properly and regularly, it can be a source of harm to our bodies.
Cleaning your Yoga mat:
Cleaning a yoga mat is not a difficult task, you can quite easily do it right at home. Here are some easy steps you can take to keep your yoga mat clean and safe for use.
Step 1: Prepare the necessary items for cleaning. You need a mild detergent, a spray bottle, a clean cloth/ soft brush, and a clean dry towel.
Step 2: Mix the mild detergent with warm water in the spray bottle. Make sure the detergent is very mild and is not too strong or harsh.
Step 3: Spray the mixture over your yoga mat and let it rest for 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Scrub the dampened yoga mat with a clean cloth or soft brush. Put some effort while scrubbing it to remove the dirt and any stuck sweat from the surface of the mat.
Step 5: Once you are done scrubbing, rinse the mat by spraying clean water. Make sure all the detergent is gone and the yoga mat is now clean.
Step 6: Gently wipe the yoga mat with a dry towel and let it air dry completely. Hang it up to air dry or you can place it on a flat surface for quicker drying.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you have now successfully cleaned your yoga mat.
Additional tips for cleansing the yoga mat:
- Always use a mild detergent or a specially designed yoga mat cleaner while cleaning your yoga mat.
- Regularly use a damp cloth to clean the surface of the mat while practicing yoga.
- Always let your yoga mat air dry after cleaning and avoid direct exposure to heat or sun.
- For tough stains, use a soft brush and scrub the stain softly.
- Wipe down all surfaces with a damp towel before, during and after use.
- Use paper towels if needed to remove sweat from the mat during yogasessions.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the spray for better and antiseptic disinfection.
If you follow these simple steps and guidelines, you can easily keep your yoga mat clean and germ-free. Cleaning the yoga mat regularly and properly can prolong its lifespan and help you enjoy the benefits of a clean, healthy and safe environment to practice your favorite yoga poses.
Enjoy your yoga session!
I am passionate about yoga and this is my blog. I have been practicing yoga for over 10 years and teaching for 5. Yoga has transformed my life in so many ways and I love being able to share that with others. My hope is that through this blog, I can help people learn more about yoga, connect with other yogis, and find inspiration to live a healthier, happier life.