What is 8 Angle Pose Yoga?
8 Angle Pose Yoga, or also known as Astavarkrasana, is an advanced arm balance pose commonly used in Hatha and Bikram yoga. The pose is so named because of its eight-limbed appearance, with each limb representing a step in the practice of yoga. The 8 Angle Pose yoga sequence requires a great deal of strength, balance, agility and flexibility, so it is suitable for the more experienced practitioner.
Steps to the 8 Angle Pose Yoga
The 8 Angle Pose yoga sequence is composed of eight distinct steps:
- Step 1: Begin in tabletop position, with your shoulders over your wrists and your hips over your knees.
- Step 2: Inhale and bring your left arm up and back between your shoulder blades, straightening your elbow.
- Step 3: Now bend the left knee, bringing it up and in towards the chest.
- Step 4: Place the top of the foot against the inside of the right upper arm.
- Step 5: Exhale and shift your weight forward slightly as you press into your right foot and lengthen your left leg towards the sky.
- Step 6: At this point you should feel a stretch in your left hip flexors.
- Step 7: Now try to lift your chin up, bringing your whole body into a single line, and maintain this position for a few breaths.
- Step 8: To exit the pose, slowly lower your left leg back to the ground and release your left arm. Place your palms flat on the floor and straighten your arms before coming into the starting position.
Benefits of 8 Angle Pose Yoga
The 8 Angle Pose yoga sequence offers a range of physical and mental benefits. Here are some of the benefits of this pose:
- Strengthens the arms, wrists and shoulders – It requires a lot of strength in the arms and core to hold this pose, so it is a great way to strengthen these areas.
- Improves balance and coordination – The balancing aspect of this pose helps to improve balance and coordination.
- Stretches the spine and hips – This pose also helps to stretch and open up the muscles in the spine and hips, releasing tension.
- Increases focus and concentration – The 8 Angle Pose focuses all attention on the pose, helping to improve your focus and concentration.
The 8 Angle Pose yoga sequence is a challenging pose that requires a great deal of strength and balance, but offers many physical and mental benefits. By practicing this pose regularly, you will be able to improve your strength, flexibility, balance, and overall wellbeing.
I am passionate about yoga and this is my blog. I have been practicing yoga for over 10 years and teaching for 5. Yoga has transformed my life in so many ways and I love being able to share that with others. My hope is that through this blog, I can help people learn more about yoga, connect with other yogis, and find inspiration to live a healthier, happier life.